Easy Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs Recipe Review
A comforting slow cooker dinner with tender meatballs and rich, savory gravy that takes about 15 minutes to prepare.
🌻 Sunflowers & Lavender Recipe Review
✔ Kitchen Tested
✔ Slow Cooker Tested
✔ About 15 Minutes Prep
✔ Honest Review
✔ Kitchen Keep Status: 🌻 Yes
🌻 A Dinner That Works With Real Life
Some nights you want a homemade dinner, but you don't want a complicated recipe that takes an hour of prep before you even turn on the oven. That's one of the reasons I really appreciate recipes like these slow cooker Swedish meatballs.
The actual prep takes about 15 minutes. There is no meat to brown, no complicated chopping, and very little to do before everything goes into the slow cooker. You simply mix the sauce ingredients, add the frozen meatballs, and let the slow cooker do the work.
That makes this the kind of recipe I think about when I consider the realities of busy people. If you're working all day, raising kids, juggling a million things as a single parent, or you're an empty nester who still wants a good homemade meal without spending your entire evening in the kitchen, this recipe deserves a look.
And there's something I love about slow cooker meals that you just can't get from a recipe card: the smell. While these meatballs are cooking, the house starts smelling like dinner. By the time you're ready to eat, you've had hours of that wonderful savory aroma reminding you that something good is waiting.
🌻 From My Kitchen
I originally found this recipe from The Country Cook and thought it looked like exactly the kind of meal I like to make: easy, comforting, and made in the slow cooker. This wasn't my first time making it, but I decided it was time to give it the full Sunflowers & Lavender recipe review treatment.
What keeps bringing me back is how easy it is. With only about 15 minutes of prep, there isn't much work involved at all. Most of the ingredients simply go into the slow cooker, and then you walk away and let it do its thing.
The gravy is probably my favorite part. It is rich, savory, and absolutely delicious over mashed potatoes. My husband prefers egg noodles, and the gravy works beautifully over those too.
My husband does have one small criticism: he doesn't think this is what he would consider a true Swedish meatball meal. And honestly, I think that's fair. I wouldn't call this a traditional Swedish meatball recipe either. For us, it's simply a really good slow cooker comfort-food dinner inspired by Swedish meatballs.
And really, that's what matters in my kitchen. We both enjoy it, I've made it more than once, and it's one of those recipes I know I can turn to when I want something easy and satisfying.
🌻 Recipe Snapshot
🌻 Why This Recipe Works for Busy People
Let's be honest: after a full day of work, most of us don't want to come home and spend an hour preparing dinner. We still want something that tastes homemade, but we need the recipe to fit into real life.
That's where this recipe shines. The prep takes about 15 minutes, and there is no browning or complicated cooking involved before everything goes into the slow cooker. Mix the sauce, add the meatballs, cover it, and let the slow cooker take over.
For working folks, busy families, single parents, or empty nesters who don't want a complicated dinner for two, this is exactly the kind of recipe worth keeping in your back pocket.
And because the meatballs are frozen, this is also an easy meal to keep in the freezer for those nights when you didn't plan ahead but still want a real dinner.
🌻 What You'll Need
One of the reasons I love this recipe is the short ingredient list. There isn't a long list of specialty ingredients to track down, and most of the work is simply adding everything to the slow cooker.
- 10.75-ounce can cream of mushroom soup — low sodium
- 14-ounce can beef broth — low sodium
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons A.1. Steak Sauce
- 2-pound bag frozen meatballs
- 1 cup sour cream
🌻 For Serving
There are two ways we serve these Swedish meatballs in our house — and it mostly depends on who is eating them!
- Creamy mashed potatoes — my choice because I'm definitely a potato person. 😊
- 12-ounce package egg noodles — my husband's preferred way to serve them.
Honestly, both are good. The savory gravy is the real star here, and it is delicious spooned over either mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
🌻 Making Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs
This is one of those recipes that makes you look like you put in a lot more effort than you actually did. There is no browning the meatballs, no complicated prep, and no standing over the stove. You simply mix the sauce ingredients, add the frozen meatballs, and let the slow cooker do the work.
That's a big part of why I keep coming back to this recipe. When you're working all day and still want to put a good dinner on the table, recipes like this are worth their weight in gold.
🌻 Step 1: Make the Gravy Base
Start by adding the cream of mushroom soup, beef broth, dry onion soup mix, and A.1. Steak Sauce to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Whisk everything together until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
🌻 Step 2: Add the Frozen Meatballs
Once the gravy mixture is combined, add the frozen meatballs directly to the slow cooker and give everything a good stir so the meatballs are coated in the sauce.
That's it for the hands-on prep. Cover the slow cooker and let it do its thing.
Add the 2-pound bag of frozen meatballs and stir gently to coat them with the gravy mixture.
🌻 Step 3: Let the Slow Cooker Do the Work
Cover and cook on Low for 6–8 hours or on High for 3–5 hours.
This is the part I love about slow cooker recipes. Once everything is in the crockpot, you can walk away and get on with your day. And as it cooks, the house starts smelling pretty darn good.
With only about 15 minutes of hands-on prep, this is a great recipe for a workday. Get everything into the slow cooker in the morning, let it cook while you're busy, and dinner is well on its way before you know it.
🌻 Step 4: Add the Sour Cream
Once the meatballs have finished cooking, stir in the sour cream. This is what gives the gravy that creamy finish that makes it so good over mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
🌻 If You're Serving Them with Egg Noodles
If you're going the egg noodle route, cook the noodles according to the package directions while the meatballs are finishing up. Drain them well, then spoon the Swedish meatballs and gravy over the noodles.
🌻 My Serving Preference
As I mentioned above, I'm a potato person, so give me mashed potatoes every time. My husband prefers egg noodles. Either way, don't skimp on the gravy — it's one of my favorite parts of this meal!
🌻 Dinner Is Served
And that's dinner! Tender meatballs, creamy gravy, and whatever you choose to serve underneath it. It's simple, comforting, and exactly the kind of meal I want waiting for me after a busy day.
🌻 My Honest Review
I have made these slow cooker Swedish meatballs before, and honestly, I knew I wanted to make them again before I even decided to write the review. They are just that easy and that good.
What I love most is how little work is involved. The actual prep takes about 15 minutes, and there is no meat to brown or complicated cooking involved. You basically mix the sauce ingredients, add the frozen meatballs, turn on the slow cooker, and walk away.
And while they're cooking? Your house starts smelling really good. That's always a bonus in my book.
🌻 What Worked
Pretty much everything. This is one of those recipes where the slow cooker does almost all of the work for you, but the finished meal tastes like you put in much more effort.
The gravy is my favorite part. It is rich, savory, creamy, and absolutely delicious over mashed potatoes. My husband prefers egg noodles, and the gravy works just as well over those.
This is also a great recipe for busy people. If you work all day, have kids to get to activities, are cooking for one or two, or you're an empty nester who doesn't want to spend your evening in the kitchen, this is exactly the kind of recipe that makes getting dinner on the table easier.
🌻 What Didn't Work?
Honestly, I don't have any major complaints about this recipe. I've made it before and knew what to expect, and it delivered exactly what I was hoping for.
The only thing I found myself wishing for was more gravy. And that's not because there wasn't enough — I just really like the gravy!
🌻 What Would I Change Next Time?
Next time, I'm thinking about keeping the meatball quantity the same but increasing the sauce ingredients so there is more gravy to go around. I would probably thicken the extra gravy with a little cornstarch before serving.
That isn't necessary to make this recipe good. It's simply a personal preference because I really like having plenty of that gravy to spoon over my mashed potatoes.
🌻 Is This Really Swedish Meatballs?
Here's where I'm going to be completely honest.
My husband likes this meal, but he doesn't think it is a true Swedish meatball meal. And I think that's fair. I wouldn't call this an authentic Swedish meatball recipe either.
What I would call it is an easy, comforting slow cooker meatball dinner with a really good creamy gravy. And sometimes that's exactly what I'm looking for.
So if you're searching for a traditional Swedish meatball recipe, this may not be the one you're looking for. But if you want an easy slow cooker dinner that takes about 15 minutes to put together and tastes really good? Absolutely give this one a try.
🌻 My Final Verdict
Would I make it again? Yep. I've already made it more than once, and I'll make it again.
Would I recommend it? Yes — especially if you're looking for an easy slow cooker dinner with minimal prep.
Would I call it authentic Swedish meatballs? Nope. But I'd happily make and eat it anyway. 😊
🌻 More Easy Slow Cooker Recipes
If easy slow cooker dinners are your kind of cooking, I've got a few more recipes you might want to try. These are the kinds of meals I turn to when I want something comforting without spending a lot of time in the kitchen.
- Slow Cooker Cube Steak with Gravy – Tender cube steak cooked low and slow in a rich, savory gravy. Another easy comfort-food dinner.
- 3-Ingredient Slow Cooker Ranch Pork Chops – When you need dinner to be ridiculously easy, this one delivers with just three ingredients.
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips & Gravy – Another cozy slow cooker meal with tender beef and plenty of delicious gravy.
And if you're looking for even more recipes I've actually made, cooked, and reviewed in my own kitchen, visit the Sunflowers & Lavender Recipe Reviews .
0 Comments:
Post a Comment