Philly cheesesteak sandwiches made on a Blackstone griddle with melted provolone cheese, chopped steak, and caramelized onions.

Philly Cheesesteaks on the Blackstone Griddle

Easy homemade Philly cheesesteaks made on the Blackstone with chopped sirloin steak, caramelized onions, melted provolone, and warm hoagie rolls.

🌻 Sunflowers & Lavender Kitchen Favorite

✔ Blackstone Griddle Tested
✔ Easy Weeknight Dinner
✔ Family Favorite
✔ Would Make Again: 🌻 Absolutely

🌻 Recipe Snapshot

Prep Time
10 minutes
Cook Time
15 minutes
Servings
4 sandwiches
Cooking Method
Blackstone Griddle
Difficulty
Easy

🌻 Recipe at a Glance

πŸ₯© Main Ingredient
Frozen Sirloin Philly Steaks
πŸ§… Onions
About 3 medium
πŸ§€ Cheese
Provolone
πŸ₯– Rolls
Hoagie Rolls
πŸ”₯ Cooking Method
Blackstone Griddle
🌻 Kitchen Keep
YES

🌻 From My Kitchen

My husband and I both love a good Philly cheesesteak. Unfortunately, we are miles and miles and miles away from the source—Philadelphia—so we've always had to do our best to recreate that classic cheesesteak experience at home.

Now that we have a Blackstone Griddle, I knew I wanted to give Philly cheesesteaks a try. There is just something about cooking steak, onions, cheese, and hoagie rolls on a big flat-top griddle that seemed like it could get us pretty close to the real thing.

And honestly? It was much easier than I expected.

I used the lowest settings on both sides of our Blackstone and waited until the temperature reached about 325 degrees. I added a little oil, let it heat for a minute or two, and then added about three medium chopped onions. You can use a little more or a little less depending on how much you like onions—just remember that they cook down quite a bit.

Once the onions were caramelized to my liking, I added four frozen sirloin Philly steaks. I seasoned the meat with salt and pepper, closed the lid, and let everything heat for a couple of minutes. I found that closing the lid helped take some of the shock out of putting the frozen steaks onto the hot griddle.

After a couple of minutes, I opened the lid and started breaking apart the meat. Once there was just a little pink left, I combined the steak with the onions, closed the lid again, and let everything cook for another minute or so.

Then came the fun part. I divided the steak and onions into four portions, topped each with provolone cheese, and added the hoagie rolls so everything could warm up while the cheese melted.

The only thing I would change next time is the final step. My cheesesteaks ended up a little crispier than I wanted. They were still really good, but next time I'll turn the Blackstone off before adding the cheese and bread, then close the lid and let the residual heat melt the cheese and warm the rolls.

Even with that little adjustment, we loved them. And that is probably what surprised me most about cooking on the Blackstone—the whole process was just so easy. What sounded like a restaurant-style dinner turned into something we could make right in our own backyard.

One other real-life note: although the package of Philly steaks was supposed to make four servings, the amount of cooked meat was really closer to two generous sandwiches or maybe a little more. That could have been because we had to use an off-brand package since the store was out of the name brand. The flavor was good; there just wasn't quite as much meat as I expected.

Would I make these again? For sure. 🌻

🌻 Ingredients for Blackstone Philly Cheesesteaks

You only need a handful of simple ingredients to make these easy Philly cheesesteaks on the Blackstone. This is one of those meals where the cooking method does most of the work.

  • 4 frozen sirloin Philly steaks
  • About 3 medium onions, chopped
  • 4 slices provolone cheese
  • 4 hoagie rolls
  • Oil, for the Blackstone
  • Salt and black pepper, to taste
🌻 A quick note about the steak:

I used frozen sirloin Philly steaks because that's what we had available. The package was labeled as four servings, but after cooking, I found that the amount of meat was really closer to two generous sandwiches or maybe a little more. The flavor was good, but the quantity may vary depending on the brand you use.

Ingredients for Philly cheesesteaks including hoagie rolls, sliced provolone cheese, sirloin philly steak, and diced onions.

🌻 Before You Start

The great thing about making cheesesteaks on a Blackstone is that there isn't a complicated prep list. Chop your onions, have your steak and cheese ready, and get your hoagie rolls nearby so everything is within reach once the griddle gets hot.

For the onions, I used about three medium onions. You can adjust that amount based on how much you like onions, but keep in mind that they cook down quite a bit.

I also recommend having your cheese and rolls ready before you start cooking the steak. Once everything is sizzling on the Blackstone, things move pretty quickly.

πŸ”₯ Blackstone Temperature

I used the lowest settings on both sides of our Blackstone. Once the griddle reached approximately 325°F, I added a little oil and let it heat for a minute or two before adding the onions.

This lower-temperature approach worked well for getting the onions started without rushing them, while still giving me enough heat to cook the steak afterward.

Diced white onions sizzling in oil on a flat top Blackstone griddle for Philly cheesesteaks.

🌻 Blackstone Tip

Don't worry about getting everything perfectly timed. Start with the onions and let them cook until they're where you want them. The steak cooks quickly, so having the onions nearly finished before adding the frozen steaks makes the rest of the process much easier.






πŸ”₯ How to Make Philly Cheesesteaks on the Blackstone

Once your onions are chopped and your ingredients are ready, the Blackstone does most of the work. Here's exactly how I made ours.

1. Preheat the Blackstone

Set both sides of the Blackstone to the lowest setting. Let the griddle heat until it reaches approximately 325°F.

Once it reaches temperature, add a small amount of oil and let it heat for a minute or two.

2. Cook the Onions

Add the chopped onions to the oiled griddle. I used about three medium onions, but you can adjust that amount depending on how much you like onions.

Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until they're caramelized to your liking. Remember that the onions will cook down quite a bit, so don't be afraid to start with a generous amount.

3. Add the Frozen Philly Steaks

Once the onions are nearly caramelized, add the four frozen sirloin Philly steaks to the griddle.

Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Then close the Blackstone lid and let the steaks heat for a couple of minutes.

🌻 Why I Closed the Lid

Because the steaks were frozen, I wanted to give them a little time to heat up without immediately hitting them with the full heat of the griddle. Closing the lid helped warm everything through before I started breaking the meat apart.

4. Break Apart the Steak

Open the lid and begin breaking apart the steaks with your Blackstone spatulas.

Continue cooking and breaking the meat apart until there is just a little pink remaining.

5. Combine the Steak and Onions

Once the steak is mostly cooked, combine the chopped steak with the caramelized onions.

Close the Blackstone lid and let the steak and onions cook together for another minute or so, until the meat is cooked through.

Raw seasoned sirloin steak portions searing next to caramelized onions on a hot Blackstone griddle.

6. Divide Into Four Portions

Use your spatulas to divide the steak and onion mixture into four portions on the Blackstone.

Keep each portion together so you can easily add the cheese and build your sandwiches.

Four individual portions of chopped steak and onions divided on a flat top Blackstone griddle.

7. Add the Provolone

Place a slice of provolone cheese over each portion of steak and onions.

Here's where I would make one change from what I originally did: turn the Blackstone off before adding the cheese and rolls.

The residual heat is enough to melt the cheese without continuing to crisp up the steak and bread as much as mine did.

Sliced provolone cheese melting over four piles of chopped steak and onions on a flat top Blackstone griddle.

8. Warm the Hoagie Rolls

Place the hoagie rolls over the cheese-topped steak portions so they can warm from the residual heat of the griddle.

Close the Blackstone lid and let everything sit for a minute or two, just until the cheese is melted and the rolls are warmed through.

Sliced hoagie rolls placed top-down over cheesy chopped steak and onions on a Blackstone griddle to steam and warm.

9. Assemble and Serve

Carefully lift each cheesy steak and onion portion into a warm hoagie roll.

Serve immediately while the provolone is still melty and the steak and onions are hot.

🌻 My Blackstone Lesson

My first batch came out a little crispier than I wanted. They were still delicious, but if I make these again—and I definitely will—I’ll turn the Blackstone off before adding the cheese and rolls.

The griddle will still be plenty hot. Let the residual heat do the final work while the lid is closed. That should give you melty cheese and warm rolls without taking the steak and bread quite as far as mine went.






🌻 My Blackstone Tips

This was one of those meals that reminded me why I am enjoying our new Blackstone so much. Once everything was on the griddle, the cooking itself was surprisingly easy.

I used the lowest heat settings on both sides of the Blackstone. Once the griddle reached about 325°F, I added a little oil and let it heat for a minute or two before adding the onions.

When the onions were almost caramelized to my liking, I added the four frozen sirloin Philly steaks. I seasoned the meat with salt and pepper, then closed the lid for a couple of minutes. This helped the frozen meat start heating without giving the hot griddle quite such a shock.

Once the meat had started cooking, I opened the lid and began breaking it apart with my Blackstone spatulas. When there was just a little pink remaining, I combined the steak with the onions, closed the lid, and let everything finish cooking together for another minute or so.

Then I divided the mixture into four portions, topped each portion with provolone cheese, and placed the hoagie rolls over the top to warm them while the cheese melted.

🌻 What I Would Do Differently Next Time

The only real issue we had was that the finished sandwiches were a little too crispy for my liking.

They were still really good, but next time I would turn the Blackstone off once the steak and onions are cooked. Then I would add the cheese and bread and close the lid, letting the remaining heat melt the cheese and warm the hoagie rolls.

I also learned that four packages of the frozen sirloin Philly steaks did not produce quite as much finished meat as I expected. We ended up with enough for about two generous sandwiches, or perhaps a little more depending on how full you like your cheesesteaks.

That may have been partly because we had to use an off-brand package since the store was out of the name-brand steaks. The flavor was still good, but I would keep the amount of meat in mind if you are feeding four hungry adults.

🌻 My Honest Take

Would I make these again? Absolutely.

Were they authentic Philadelphia cheesesteaks? I would not call them that. I have never had an “authentic” Philly cheesesteak in Philadelphia, and I know better than to step into that debate! πŸ˜„

What these are is our attempt to recreate one of our favorite sandwiches at home, using our Blackstone Griddle. And for us, they absolutely hit the spot.

The flavor was good, the process was easy, and my husband and I both loved them. There is something pretty satisfying about making a restaurant-style sandwich in your own backyard, especially when you can control exactly how much steak, onion, and cheese goes into it.

This one is definitely going back into our Blackstone rotation.

🌻 Who These Blackstone Cheesesteaks Are For

This recipe is a great fit if you:

  • Love Philly cheesesteaks but live nowhere near Philadelphia.
  • Are looking for an easy Blackstone dinner.
  • Are new to cooking on a flat-top griddle.
  • Want a casual dinner that feels a little more special than an ordinary sandwich.
  • Enjoy customizing your cheesesteaks with your favorite amount of steak, onions, and cheese.

🌻 What to Serve with Philly Cheesesteaks

These sandwiches are hearty enough to stand on their own, but if you are feeding a crowd, you can easily turn them into a full comfort-food dinner with a few simple sides.

🌻 My favorite pairing? Our Doc's Steakhouse Garlic Slaw Copycat Recipe . It is creamy, garlicky, crunchy, and has that old-school steakhouse feel that goes surprisingly well with a hot, cheesy Philly cheesesteak.

If you've never had Doc's garlic slaw, this is a recipe that has become a regular in our kitchen. We loved the original at Doc's Steakhouse in Wichita, and this copycat version is our attempt to recreate that nostalgic flavor at home.

Other easy sides that would work well with these cheesesteaks include:

🌻 If you're enjoying our new Blackstone as much as we are, be sure to check out my Easy Blackstone Chicken Fajitas too.

🌻 Philly Cheesesteaks on the Blackstone

Here's the simple version of how we made our Blackstone Philly cheesesteaks. This is less of a traditional recipe and more of a how we cooked it at home guide. Feel free to adjust the onions, cheese, and steak to your liking.

πŸ›’ Ingredients

  • 4 frozen sirloin Philly steaks
  • 3 medium onions, chopped
  • Provolone cheese slices
  • 4 hoagie rolls
  • Oil for the Blackstone
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

πŸ”₯ Blackstone Method

  1. Set both sides of the Blackstone to the lowest heat setting and allow the griddle to reach approximately 325°F.
  2. Add a little oil to the griddle and allow it to heat for a minute or two.
  3. Add the chopped onions and cook until caramelized to your liking.
  4. Add the four frozen sirloin Philly steaks to the griddle. Season with salt and pepper.
  5. Close the Blackstone lid and allow the steaks to heat for a couple of minutes.
  6. Open the lid and begin breaking the steaks apart with your Blackstone spatulas.
  7. When the steak has just a little pink remaining, combine it with the cooked onions.
  8. Close the lid and allow the steak and onions to cook together for another minute or so, until the steak is cooked through.
  9. Divide the steak and onion mixture into four portions.
  10. Top each portion with provolone cheese.
  11. Turn the Blackstone off. Place the hoagie rolls over the cheese and close the lid.
  12. Allow the residual heat to melt the cheese and warm the rolls. This should take about a minute or two.
  13. Carefully transfer each steak and onion portion into a hoagie roll and serve immediately.

🌻 Tracy's Blackstone Note

The biggest lesson I learned from making these is that the Blackstone stays hot even after you turn it off. Next time, I'll use that residual heat to melt the cheese and warm the rolls instead of continuing to cook everything on the heat. That should give us the same delicious sandwich without quite as much crispiness.

Four freshly cooked Philly cheesesteaks with melted provolone cheese and caramelized onions served on a parchment-lined baking sheet.

🌻 Final Thoughts

I knew when we bought our Blackstone that Philly cheesesteaks would eventually make their way onto it. My husband and I have always loved a good cheesesteak, and living miles and miles from Philadelphia means we've had to learn how to make our favorites at home.

These aren't an authentic Philadelphia cheesesteak, and I'm perfectly okay with that. πŸ˜„ They're our version, made on our Blackstone, with caramelized onions, melted provolone, and a warm hoagie roll.

The whole process was easier than I expected, and that's probably what I enjoyed most. The Blackstone gave us plenty of room to cook the onions and steak together, and once everything came together, we had a really satisfying dinner without making a complicated recipe.

Even though ours ended up a little crispier than I wanted, they were still delicious. Next time I'll turn the griddle off before adding the cheese and rolls, and I'm confident that will give us the texture I'm looking for.

Would I make them again? For sure.

🌻 Kitchen Keep?

YES! 🌻

Easy enough to make again, delicious enough that we both loved it, and definitely worth putting back into the Blackstone rotation.

Looking for more recipes I've tested in my own kitchen? Visit the Sunflowers & Lavender Recipe & Review Hub for more kitchen-tested recipes and honest reviews.

🌻 From my kitchen to yours, I hope this gives you a little inspiration for your next Blackstone dinner.

If you make these Philly cheesesteaks, I'd love to hear how you customize yours—and whether you prefer yours loaded with onions or kept simple.

×

πŸ“Œ Love this recipe?

Save this Easy Blackstone Philly Cheesesteak recipe to Pinterest so you can easily find it the next time you're craving a delicious homemade cheesesteak.

🌻 Save on Pinterest

Comments